Consumer Information

Consumer Information

The Higher Education Act of 1965 (HEA), as amended by the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 (HEOA), requires institutions to disclose certain information to prospective and current students, and employees. The purpose of this webpage is to provide the information required to be disclosed by the HEA in an easy to find location. These federal regulations require that colleges who receive Title IV federal funding provide specific consumer information about the college. Listed below is the information West Virginia University at Parkersburg is required to disclose and the web links, or catalogs where the information can be found.


West Virginia University at Parkersburg is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), a regional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education through 2023-24. WVU Parkersburg desires to answer any accreditation questions you may have. Please contact Dr. David Lancaster, Executive Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs, if you have any questions at You may also contact the Higher Learning Commission at 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60604,, (800) 621-7440, and from the HLC website.

Types of Financial Aid

Financial aid is money to be used in meeting educational expenses such as tuition, fees, books and course supplies. Financial aid awards are based on your individual and family financial need and eligibility as determined through the annual FAFSA application. There are several types of financial aid available at WVU Parkersburg, including grants, scholarships, work study, and loans. Financial aid awards may include a combination of the various types of aid available. You can learn more about all the types of financial aid we offer as follows:

Federal Pell Grant:

Pell grants are available to undergraduates who have not yet earned a bachelor’s degree. The grant is based on financial need and the number of credit hours for which you are enrolled on the last day of the add/drop period. The award amount listed on your award letter is always based on full-time enrollment. (All students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid – FAFSA)

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG):

SEOG is a federal aid program that is awarded to undergraduate students who show the greatest financial need; are registered at least half time; and are working on their first bachelor’s degree. Priority is given to students who receive the Federal Pell Grant. A student can receive between $100 and $1000 an academic year, depending on your financial need and the institution’s funding level. Allocation of funds is at WVUP’s discretion, and awarding is based on need and application date along with the other criteria listed above.

Federal Work-Study:

Work Study is money you earn through working a job on-campus or through community service activities organized in coordination with the college. Students who demonstrate financial need and are in good academic standing may be eligible to participate in the federal work-study program. Students may be employed in departmental offices, the Tutoring Center, on the maintenance staff, etc. Paychecks, at the higher of the federal or West Virginia minimum wage rate, are made every two weeks according to the hours worked through the Human Resources Office. Students must reapply with the Financial Aid Office each semester to verify continued eligibility. (for more information contact the Financial Aid Office (304-424-8310) or your Campus Counselor)

Federal Direct Loans:

A federal loan program that is awarded to students who show financial need and are registered at least half time.  WVU Parkersburg participates in the Federal Direct Loan Program.  Repayment begins six months after leaving school or dropping below half-time status.  A fixed Interest rate is established July 1st of each year for the upcoming aid year.
Click here for more information.

Federal Direct Subsidized Loan– Students may apply for a student loan if they are enrolled or have been accepted for enrollment at least halftime (six credit hours). Students who qualify for a subsidized loan will have the interest on the loan paid by the Federal government while enrolled in school, and during the six-month grace period after their last date of enrollment or during an eligible deferment. Repayment begins six months after the student graduates, withdraws from college, or does not enroll at least half time; students may be allowed up to ten years to repay.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan– Independent students who do not qualify for the maximum subsidized loan limits may borrow the difference, plus an additional amount of up to $4,000 under this program. Students are responsible for the interest while enrolled in school, during the six-month grace period after their last date of enrollment, or during an eligible deferment. Repayment begins six months after the student graduates, withdraws from college, or does not enroll at least half time; students may be allowed up to ten years to repay.

Federal PLUS LoansPLUS loans are federal loans that parents of dependent undergraduate students at WVU Parkersburg can use to help pay for college.  PLUS loans can help pay for education expenses not covered by other financial aid.

• The U.S. Department of Education is your lender.
• You must not have an adverse credit history.
• The maximum loan amount is the cost of attendance (financial aid budget as described on the student’s award letter) minus other financial aid received
• If the student has already filed the FAFSA, a parent can apply for a PLUS loan on

West Virginia State Financial Aid

Following is a list of state financial aid assistance for residents of West Virginia:

Promise Scholarship – A merit-based scholarship for qualifying WV high school graduates.

Engineering, Science and Technology Scholarship – A scholarship available to qualified students interested in pursuing an education in engineering, science, or technology.

West Virginia Higher Education Grant – A need-based grant awarded based on financial need for full-time students. Deadline to file the FAFSA is April 15th each year.

Higher Education Adult Part-Time Student (HEAPS) Grant Program – A need-based grant for students enrolled on a part-time basis (3 – 11 credit hours). Eligible applicants must have lived in WV continuously for a minimum of 12 months immediately preceding the semester applying for HEAPS. Awards are on a 1st-come-1st-serve basis since funds are limited per institution.

West Virginia Invests Grant – West Virginia Invests is a “last-dollar-in” financial aid program designed to cover the cost of basic tuition and fees for certificate or associate degree programs in specific high-demand fields, as determined by the West Virginia Department of Commerce, at a participating West Virginia public two or four-year institution.

Other Sources of Financial Assistance

Veterans Resource Center – WVU Parkersburg – Veterans of the U.S. Armed Services, Reservists, or National Guard members may be eligible to receive educational benefits through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Children and spouses of deceased or totally and permanently disabled veterans may receive educational assistance. All applicable guidelines will apply.

WV Division of Rehabilitation Services – Each state maintains a Vocational Rehabilitation agency to assist clients in training or retraining to overcome various disabilities. It may be possible to have all or part of educational expenses covered under such programs. Contact the Vocational Rehabilitation office serving the county of residence.

WVU at Parkersburg Foundation Scholarships – The WVU at Parkersburg Foundation offers a variety of scholarships for new, continuing, transfer and adult students. By submitting one online scholarship application, you can be considered for multiple donor-based scholarships funded by the Foundation.