Support Services & Resources

The mission of the Counselor is to provide crisis intervention and scheduled brief supportive/problem-solving counseling services to address emotionally distressed issues that are significantly interfering with a student’s ability to function. The Counselor also provides educational services in the form of workshops, seminars, lectures, and mini-presentations on topics related to mental well-being.


  • Crisis Intervention
  • Short-term Individual Counseling
  • Short-term Couples Counseling
  • Mental Health Referral Information
  • Mental Health Information
  • Problem Solving Sessions


  • Alcohol & Drug Abuse Concerns
  • Anxiety and/or Depression
  • Self-confidence concerns
  • Stress Management
  • Coping with loss
  • Relationship concerns

Disability Services

The Office of Disability Services is committed to helping qualified students with disabilities achieve their academic goals by providing reasonable academic accommodations under appropriate circumstances. Appropriate accommodations are based upon both documentation of a disability and the significant functional limitations supported by diagnostic test data. Disability/Accessibility services are provided free of charge.

The following information is designed to help you to understand the policies and procedures related to obtaining disability-related accommodations at WVU Parkersburg. This information is meant to assist you in obtaining services that are available to all students at WVU Parkersburg.

All current, incoming, or transfer students, in person, must:

  • Schedule an initial interview with a counselor to register with the Center for Student Support Services (Room 2210B) – (304) 424-8378
  • Provide documentation of your disability that meets WVU Parkersburg criteria for obtaining disability-related academic accommodations
  • Request services on a semester-by-semester basis

Moving from High School to College

Students having received disability-related accommodations in secondary schools will find important differences as they continue in higher education. Being aware of these differences can make the transition easier. Among the differences are:

  • Once a student reaches the age of 18, they will need to give written consent to the Office of Disability Services for any kind of parental involvement. Even if parents are assuming the financial responsibility for a student’s education, this release is still necessary.
  • Secondary schools may have provided for the financial cost of securing necessary documentation of a disability. In higher education, that cost is the responsibility of the student.
  • The length of time documentation is valid is substantially different in higher education.
  • Some types of accommodations, such as study guides, that are often used in secondary education are not available at the college or university level.
  • The amount and type of documentation that will be needed may be different between secondary and higher education. More detailed information about differences may be found at:

Assistive Technology and Services

The Office of Disability Services at West Virginia University at Parkersburg offers an array of assistive technology (AT) and services for student use or accommodation need. The Center for Student Support Services is open 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday; with the exception of official college holidays and closings, as well as other specified times throughout the year.

Assistive technologies available for use through the Office of Disability Services include:

JAWS (Job Access With Speech)

JAWS is the most powerful screen reader and uses an integrated voice synthesizer and your computer’s soundcard to output the content of your computer screen to speakers. More information about JAWS can be found here:


Kurzweil provides both audible and visual accessibility to word documents and web pages. The company is recognized as the leading developer of reading technology for people with learning difficulties and those who are blind or visually impaired. More information on Kurzweil can be found here:


ZoomText, the world’s leading low-vision solution, is available as a screen magnifier or integrated magnifier/reader. With magnification up to 16x, ZoomText enlarges and enhances everything on the screen, making all your applications easy to see and use. More information on ZoomText can be found here:

FM Systems

FM systems work like small radio transmitters and receivers. A parent or teacher wears the FM transmitter and microphone. The receiver picks up the signal from the microphone and routes it to a personal hearing aid, cochlear implant processor, or other device.


UBI Duo is an electronic communication device used by individuals with hearing impairments to enable instant communication.

Sorenson Video Relay Service (SVRS)

SVRS is a free, 24-hour service that enables users to place and receive calls through a professional American Sign Language interpreter via a videophone and high-speed internet connection. The service is available in the Library Room (Room 1332). Access after normal business hours is accomplished with the assistance of Campus Security.

Enlarge Keyboards


Text in Alternative Formats

If you are experiencing a food shortage during these difficult times, please do not hesitate to contact Lesli Testa to request assistance from WVU Parkersburg’s Riverhawk Food Pantry. Access to the Riverhawk Food Pantry is available for all active students, faculty and staff of WVU Parkersburg.

Requests for services are treated in a private manner and do not require personal financial disclosures. The Riverhawk Food Pantry attempts to stock a variety of non-perishable food items and general hygiene products.

Requests can be made during normal office hours by either coming to Lesli Testa’s Office, currently located within the Success Epicenter, or by calling her at 304-424-8616. Prior arrangements can be discussed for a possible pickup at the Jackson County Center “(JCC) if needed.

PLEASE NOTE: The resources available through the Riverhawk Food Pantry can include perishable items such as eggs, butter and milk. When you make an appointment to receive food it is extremely important that you keep your appointment as agreed.

Child Care

Choices Child Care Resource & Referral
This agency assists parents, guardians and early child care providers in Wood, Pleasants, Ritchie, Wirt, Calhoun, Gilmer, Harrison and Doddridge counties with the cost of child care (family child care providers, family child care facilities and child care centers).


Food Stamps/Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
SNAP is a monthly benefit program that aids eligible households to buy food (this excludes household items, grooming products, tobacco, alcohol products, pet food, etc.). Eligibility to receive benefits is based on household size, income, assets and some household expenses.

Health Care

Mid-Ohio Valley Health Department Dental Assistance
The Mid-Ohio Valley Health Department offers oral health assistance in the forms of a dental clinic for children ages 1-5 who have never been to the dentist and the Smiles for Life dental program. Smiles for Life is a dental screening, hygiene and referral program that is open to low-income adults and children with WV Medicaid/CHIP and who meet income guidelines.
Medicaid and CHIP provide health insurance to eligible low-income adults and children. The West Virginia Bureau for Medical Services can direct you in applying for Medicaid, CHIP and other Department of Health & Human Resources programs.


Parkersburg Housing Authority
The Parkersburg Housing Authority assists low-income families, the elderly and disabled with affordable housing opportunities and paying their monthly rent through the Rental Voucher program. This program administers aid to Wood, Pleasants, Tyler, Doddridge, Wirt, Wetzel, Ritchie and Marshall counties.

West Virginia’s Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Program

West Virginia's Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Program, also called WV WORKS, assists financially dependent and at-risk families to become self-supporting and self-sufficient. This program also provides monthly cash assistance to eligible families.

The Veterans Resource Center (VRC) of West Virginia University at Parkersburg recognizes the service our veteran students have given to our country and the sacrifices made in the process. It is our goal to provide a learning environment that conveys the college’s appreciation and offers the tools and services necessary for veterans to achieve academic success. Over 200 veterans and dependents are currently taking advantage of the many degree certificates, associate and bachelor degrees, and other classes and programs to further their academic and professional interests.

Visit our Veterans Resource page for more information here.

Darren Shearlock

Student Program Advisor (Veterans Advocate)
Student Support Services
Room 2210A

Access to a lactation lounge is available for those who need it. Complete the form below to schedule your access.

For more information please contact

Kurt Klettner

Executive Director
Student Support Services
Room 2210B

Sam Berg

Sam Berg

Administrative Associate

Student Support Services

Room 2210B