WPKM is the first and only community college radio station in West Virginia
WPKM 96.3 FM The Beet, the college radio station for West Virginia University at Parkersburg, will unite with other college radio stations across the world on Friday, Oct. 5 to celebrate College Radio Day. The event aims to raise greater awareness of the many college radio stations that operate around the world and encourages people to tune in to a college radio station in support of them on this day.
“We are excited to participate in this movement which recognizes that college radio is a unique medium that empowers students to be a voice on campus and in their community,” said Dr. Torie Jackson, chairperson and associate professor of the Humanities, Fine Arts and Social Sciences division, WVU Parkersburg. “We encourage everyone to tune in to WPKM on Oct. 5 to support their local student-run college radio station and to celebrate College Radio Day with us.”
In celebration of College Radio Day, WPKM will offer special content and activities throughout the week of Oct. 1, including college-themed radio shows, music trivia and karaoke.
WPKM provides the community with entertaining and educational radio through a wide array of music, news and talk radio. The station’s weekly show list includes:
- “The Breakroom Show with James,” a sports and pop-culture show with a comedic spin, airs every Monday and Thursday from 7 to 8 p.m.
- “Drive Time with Ky and Ty,” a variety show playing the deep cuts and not just the top 40 songs, airs every Monday and Wednesday from 10 a.m. to noon.
- “The Psychic Mothman,” featuring college/indie and classic rock, airs every Tuesday and Thursday from 6 to 7 p.m.
- “The Madhouse,” spinning alternative and heavy metal songs, airs every Tuesday and Thursday from 8 to 9 p.m.
- “The Strip,” offering a variety of hard rock and punk music, airs every Monday from 3 to 6 p.m.
- “Random Insanity,” covering all things random and fiction, airs every Wednesday from 5 to 6 p.m. and Friday from 7 to 8 p.m.
- “Nostalgia,” featuring classic hits and interesting news articles, airs every Friday from 5 to 6 p.m.
- “Renegade Radio with Professor Crites,” featuring hard rock, punk rock and heavy metal, airs every Friday from 9 p.m. to midnight.
- “The Great Echo,” offering a deep dive into cinema scores and classic films, airs every Saturday from 9 to 11 p.m.
WPKM can be experienced on traditional radio in most of Wood and Washington counties by turning the radio dial to 96.3 FM. Anyone, anywhere can listen online, through the TuneIn Radio app or live streaming at wpkmradio.com.
For more information or to make a donation to WPKM, visit www.wpkmradio.com.