• The Board of Governors will meet Tuesday, September 20, 2022. The meeting will take place at 3:15 p.m. in the Francis & Nina Phares Board Room (Room 1300). Visit http://www.wvup.edu/about/board-of-governors/agendas/ to view the complete agenda.
• Will you be eligible to graduate with your certificate, associate or bachelor’s degree? If so, you must complete the graduation application through your OLSIS account before Friday, October 14.
• Every home in the United States is eligible to order 4 free at-home COVID-19 tests. These tests are rapid anti-gen at-home tests that give results within 30 minutes and require no lab drop-off. Orders usually ship in 7-12 days. Visit COVIDtests.gov for more information and to order your 4 free at-home COVID-19 tests.
• Need institutional data for a project or report? Visit https://helpdesk.wvup.edu/open.php?topicId=54 to submit a request.
• The Riverhawk Food Pantry is continuing to provide supplemental food assistance each week. Arrangements will be made for pick-up at the main campus or Jackson County Center. Case-by-case delivery options for those lacking transportation will be evaluated. Contact 304.588.0142 or email@example.com if you need assistance.
• Help304 is an online crisis counseling resource available to individuals who want social, emotional, and supportive counseling via call, text, and chat. Visit help304.com/contact to receive immediate help. Crisis counselors are available seven days a week.
• The Ebscohost username and password has recently changed. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the updated credentials.
• Kurzweil Education is offering a text-to-speech for web content tool for students who need reading support. This tool will help students who use systems like Blackboard, Moodle and Canvas. Add the Read the Web extension (available for Chrome or Firefox) to your browser to have web content such as tweets or articles read aloud in 30 natural text-to-speech voices that read aloud in 17 languages and dialects. To download this extension, go to https://www.kurzweiledu.com/products/software-updates.html and look for the Chrome or Firefox Extension for Read the Web. For questions or help with accessing this tool, please contact the Center for Student Support Services at 304.424.8378 or email@example.com.
• Do you want Ricky the Riverhawk to make an appearance for your special event or meeting? If so, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call ext. 247.
• The Mid-Ohio Valley Health Department will be in the Aerobic Room (room 1535A) Wednesday, October 5 from 1 – 2:30 p.m. for a Flu Shot Clinic. Remember your insurance card and wear a mask. A fee will be charged that may be covered by your insurance. For more information, contact the Mid-Ohio Valley Health Department at 304.485.7374 ext. 118.
• Join the Division of Professional Studies for the Fall Speaker Series. During this series, prominent local leaders will be sharing stories of their successes. The series is free and open to the public. It will be presented October 26 and November 30 from 12:15 to 1 p.m. in the College Theater. More information can be found at wvup.edu/fallspeakerseries
• Workforce and Economic Development will be hosting a First Aid Training October 3 from 4-8 p.m. This is a hear saver class designed for those with no medical experience and includes infant CPR. Students will be instructed on the use of AED equipment and issued a certificate from the American Heart Association (AHA) in the mail after the class is completed. Cost is $75 per person.
• Celebrate German teaching, learning and the importance of language education in the US this Tuesday on October 4th. Students are to meet in the cafeteria at 12:15 p.m. For more information, contact email@example.com.
• Introduce yourself to American Sign Language, as well as Deaf culture! Students will learn foundational communication skills to socialize with Deaf people in the Introduction to ASL class happening Thursdays, Oct. 6 – Nov. 11, from 6 – 8 p.m. Call 304-424-8383 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
• Are you an armchair detective who enjoys solving crimes you see on TV? Are you a fan of true crime podcasts? Oct. 11, 18 & 25, from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m., we are offering The Science Behind CSI for adults. This three-night course will introduce you to real-world crime scene investigation and criminal profiling techniques, and give you a chance to catch a killer. Call 304-424-8383 or email email@example.com to register.
• Are you interested in starting a business or want to learn additional skills to broaden your agricultural knowledge? WVU Parkersburg’s Workforce and Economic Development division is offering multiple agriculture workforce training that class participants can learn from hands-on training at the WVU Parkersburg Riverhawk Farm! Courses will run from August 1 to November 4, 2022 at various times and locations. More detailed information about the courses can be found under the events tab on WVU Parkersburg’s Facebook. For more information or to register, contact Amy Wilson at 304.420.8618 or Amy.Wilson@wvup.edu.
STUDENT CLUBS & ORGANIZATIONS
• The WVUP Computer Club is looking for members. If you’re interested or have students interested, in joining, visit their discord channel at https://discord.gg/RsQXWw6WG7 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• The Psychology Club and Psi Beta are looked for new members. If you want to learn about psychology and help reduce the stigma surrounding mental heath while working with like-minded people, these clubs are for you! For more information of an application, email faculty advisor Felicia Kademian-Saini at email@example.com.
FACULTY & STAFF NEWS
Please join us in welcoming:
Darren Pettus, Trades Specialist I
Drew Carpenter, Instructor (JCC – Arts & Sciences Division)
Heather Carter, Instructor (Nursing & Health Sciences Division)
Zayden Jackson, Landscape Worker
Scott Rogers, Campus Service Worker
Dr. Sherri Theaker, Associate Professor (Professional Studies Division)
Please join us in congratulating these WVUP employees to their new roles:
Tess Martin, Director of Alumni Relations
Kim McFee, Director of RBA/BOG
Lindsay Morgan, Educational Outreach Counselor
The Academic Calendar for the 2023-24 school year is now available here.