• The Tutoring and Testing Center’s summer hours are Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. Please visit tutor.wvup.edu to schedule tutoring sessions.
• The WVU Parkersburg Bookstore will have new summer hours from May 13 – July 29: Monday – Thursday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m., and Friday, Closed.
• The Tutoring and Testing Center will be hosting HESI tutoring sessions for the entrance exam. Accommodations can be made for individual tutoring sessions by visiting tutor.wvup.edu. The Group tutoring sessions will be on May 26 at 9 a.m. and June 9 at 9 a.m. in the Tutoring and Testing Center. For more information, contact Jennifer Conrad-Miller at email@example.com.
• The PRAXIS Certification Exam can be taken everyday in May, June and July, with the exception of holidays and weekends. Testing begins at 9:30 a.m. Visit www.ets.org/praxis/register to register for the exam. For more information, contact Jennifer Conrad-Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• WVU Parkersburg’s literary magazine, The Poorhouse Rag, serves as a written review for artists and writers to submit poetry, flash fiction, fiction, creative non-fiction, children’s stories and artwork. Artists and writers can use their voices to bring awareness to the broad and varied themes and topics of social justice. Students, faculty, staff, alumni and their families have the opportunity to submit original pieces to the magazine from now until June 1, 2022. For more information, visit wvup.edu/poorhouserag.
• Every home in the United States is eligible to order 4 free at-home COVID-19 tests. These tests are rapid anti-gen at-home tests that give results within 30 minutes and require no lab drop-off. Orders usually ship in 7-12 days. Visit COVIDtests.gov for more information and to order your 4 free at-home COVID-19 tests.
• Need institutional data for a project or report? Visit https://helpdesk.wvup.edu/open.php?topicId=54 to submit a request.
• The Riverhawk Food Pantry is continuing to provide supplemental food assistance each week. Arrangements will be made for pick-up at the main campus or Jackson County Center. Case-by-case delivery options for those lacking transportation will be evaluated. Contact 304.588.0142 or email@example.com if you need assistance.
• Help304 is an online crisis counseling resource available to individuals who want social, emotional, and supportive counseling via call, text, and chat. Visit help304.com/contact to receive immediate help. Crisis counselors are available seven days a week.
• The Ebscohost username and password has recently changed. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the updated credentials.
• Kurzweil Education is offering a text-to-speech for web content tool for students who need reading support. This tool will help students who use systems like Blackboard, Moodle and Canvas. Add the Read the Web extension (available for Chrome or Firefox) to your browser to have web content such as tweets or articles read aloud in 30 natural text-to-speech voices that read aloud in 17 languages and dialects. To download this extension, go to https://www.kurzweiledu.com/products/software-updates.html and look for the Chrome or Firefox Extension for Read the Web. For questions or help with accessing this tool, please contact the Center for Student Support Services at 304.424.8378 or email@example.com.
• Do you want Ricky the Riverhawk to make an appearance for your special event or meeting? If so, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call ext. 247.
• Get smart about your financial journey! Diana Whitlock, JPMorgan Chase & Co. vice president community manager, and Angela Stanton, Goodwill Industries of KYOWVA director of consumer credit counseling, will present a virtual event on financial health. The event will take place on May 25, 2022, from 10:00 – 11:30 a.m. Click here to register.
• Workforce & Economic Development is hosting a Microsoft Excel for Business course May 12 and 19 from 4-8 p.m. in the Workforce and Economic Development building. The course will prepare individuals with the knowledge needed to use Microsoft Excel a a professional level. For more information, call 304.424.8383 or email email@example.com. The cost is $75 per student, and a maximum of 20 students will be accepted. Students may pay an additional $80 to take the Microsoft Office Specialist — Excel Associate Certification to earn a nationally recognized credential.
• Workforce & Economic Development is hosting the Teen CSI Academy, from June 6-9, 2022, on the main campus. Students ages 13-17 will be introduced to crime scenes, evidence processing and courtroom proceedings through a variety of hands-on activities. Activities include guest speakers, photography, fingerprinting, blood testing and more. For more information or to apply by May 31, click here. The cost is $150 per student, and a maximum of 20 students will be accepted.
• Workforce & Economic Development is hosting the Teen Medical Explorers program, from June 20-23, 2022, on the main campus. Students ages 13-17 will learn how to take care of patients in WVU Parkersburg’s medical labs, as well as hear from real medical professionals! For more information or to apply by June 6, click here. The cost is $150 per student, and a maximum of 20 students will be accepted.
STUDENT CLUBS & ORGANIZATIONS
• The Veterans Resource Center would like to invite all students, faculty, and staff, who are a part of our Veteran community, to enjoy a Summer Semester Cookout on Thursday, May 19 from 5-7 p.m. Stop by the center (Room 1532) on main campus for free food, fun, games, and camaraderie. Contact Veterans Advocate Darren Shearlock, MSG, USA (Ret.) at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to get involved.
• Join the Veterans Corps on May 27 at 2 p.m. in the Poorhouse Cemetery to celebrate Memorial Day by honoring those who have died while serving the United States Armed Forces. Contact Veterans Advocate Darren Shearlock, MSG, USA (Ret.) at email@example.com for more information or to get involved.
• The WVUP Computer Club is looking for members. If you’re interested or have students interested, in joining, visit their discord channel at https://discord.gg/RsQXWw6WG7 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
FACULTY & STAFF NEWS
Please join us in welcoming Darren Pettus, Trades Specialist I.
Please join us in welcoming John Riggs, Director of Agriculture.
Please join us in welcoming Austin Weiford, Media Production Specialist.
Please join us in welcoming Anthony Miller, Admissions Counselor.
Please join us in welcoming Mary Bentz, Executive Director of Human Resources and Compliance.
Please join us in welcoming Dr. Jenny Waters, Director of Institutional Assessment.
Please join us in welcoming Scottie Dunbar, JCC Security Guard.
Please join us in welcoming Darren Pettus, Maintenance Worker I.
Please join us in welcoming Cyndi Dotson, Financial Aid Counselor.