• The WV Collegiate Business Plan Competition is now accepting entries! It is an opportunity for current college students to compete for thousands of dollars in prizes to start (or expand) their small business! Teams can include students from any major. WVU Parkersburg is guaranteed at least one team will compete in the Semi-Finals on December 7. Submissions are due November 13, 2020, at 12 p.m. If only one WVU Parkersburg team enters, they automatically advance to the semifinals! Please direct any inquiries to email@example.com. For official BPC Rules, click here.
• The WVU Parkersburg Tutoring Center is in need of tutors. If students are interested in teaching and are in good academic standing, please contact the Tutoring Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 304-424-8295. Students must have an “A” in the courses they wish to tutor and provide a faculty referral. Students eligible for work study and student worker positions are eligible to apply.
• The Ebscohost username and password has recently changed. Please contact email@example.com for the updated credentials.
• As we start an unusual semester, the college will be providing designated rooms that students can use while on campus to attend Zoom courses. A student might need to attend a lab and have a Zoom course meeting right before or right after. These rooms will allow these students the opportunity to have reliable internet access and a desk to work on.
Rooms 2215 and 0127 will be available for students who bring their own equipment to participate in their courses. These rooms are already set up for social distancing and no equipment will be provided.
Room 2203 will have socially distanced computers with webcams, headphones and microphones. This room will be available for students who might not have personal equipment to participate in their courses.
These rooms will be available on a first-come, first-served basis, and if there is a greater need, more rooms will become available.
Contact Jeremy Starkey at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• Don’t get stuck on your fall courses! The WVU Parkersburg Tutoring Center is here for you. To schedule a Zoom tutoring session, email email@example.com or call 304.424.8295. Tutoring times and subjects may be found at firstname.lastname@example.org. Free 24/7 tutoring can also be found online at brainfuse.wvup.edu. You may log on using the first part of your WVU Parkersburg email and password. By using this service, you will be connected with a tutor, live, via chat, even at 3 a.m.! Not to mention, you can submit papers and essays to be proofread within 24 hours, guaranteed. The Tutoring Center also has everything you need to study for your science classes! Schedule an appointment to use the box of bones, skeleton, molecules, microscopes, muscle man, a model of the brain, heart and eye.
• Homeland Church, located at 1005 14th Street in Parkersburg, is offering community dinner to-go meals every Saturday, from 4 to 5 p.m. Any person or family in need is welcome to stop by and pick up a meal. Homeland Church also offers a Food Ministry through its food pantry, with assistance available every Tuesday, from 4 to 5 p.m. To request a grocery delivery, please contact Pastor Mel at 304-966-5153.
• Kurzweil Education is offering a text-to-speech for web content tool for students who need reading support. This tool will help students who use systems like Blackboard, Moodle and Canvas. Add the Read the Web extension (available for Chrome or Firefox) to your browser to have web content such as tweets or articles read aloud in 30 natural text-to-speech voices that read aloud in 17 languages and dialects. To download this extension, go to https://www.kurzweiledu.com/products/software-updates.html and look for the Chrome or Firefox Extension for Read the Web. For questions or help with accessing this tool, please contact the Center for Student Support Services at 304.424.8378 or email@example.com.
• WVU Parkersburg has once again been recognized for its support of veteran and military students by Military Times, ranking No. 8 on its annual “Best for Vets: Career & Technical Colleges” list.
• WVU Parkersburg has a trial subscription to the Kanopy video streaming service. Kanopy is a video streaming platform for many universities with a broad collection of over 30,000 films from 1000 top producers such as Criterion Collection, Media Education Foundation, The Great Courses, New Day Films, California Newsreel, Kino Lorber, PBS, First Run Features and more. Use the following to access Kanopy:
Trial Link: wvup.kanopy.com
Please contact Library Director Stephen Hupp at firstname.lastname@example.org or ext. 418 for additional information.
• Do you want Ricky the Riverhawk to make an appearance for your special event or meeting? If so, please complete the Ricky Request Form, which can be found at www.wvup.edu/forms or by clicking here. Please direct any questions to email@example.com or ext. 247.
• On Friday, September 11, WVU Parkersburg will host a 9/11 Memorial Ceremony from 12 to 1 p.m. on Facebook Live and YouTube. Darren Shearlock, Kim Mcfee, Al Collins and Dr. Rob Anderson will present a historical recap of 9/11 as well as share their memories from that day, its aftermath, and how it affected the community. Stream live at facebook.com/wvuparkersburg or wvup.edu/youtube.
STUDENT CLUBS & ORGANIZATIONS
FACULTY & STAFF NEWS
WELCOME Dr. Brian Higley – Assistant Professor, Psychology
WELCOME May Miller – Instructor, Nursing
WELCOME Dr. David Stretton – Assistant Professor, Business.
WELCOME Melissa Graham, Administrative Associate (Education) and Lindsay Morgan, Program Specialist (PAC).