HVAC/R Beginner’s Course
February 16 – May 18, 2023 | Tuesdays & Thursdays
6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
This is a course designed to take an individual that has little to no experience in Residential Heating and Cooling and give them the necessary knowledge and ability to take a job and understand the basic fundamentals of the install as well as the service and maintenance of a system.
HVAC Beginners Course Topics
- Terms and language
- How Your Home Works
- Basic Theory and Sequence of Operations
- Refrigeration Circuit/Cycle
- Heat Pump/Condenser, Sequence of Operation
- Gas Furnace Cycle/Electric Heat
- Gas Furnace Sequence of Operation
- Basic Installation Practices and Procedures
- Disconnect and Reclaim Process for outdoor units
- High and low voltage wiring for outdoor units
- Brazing with nitrogen and why
- Using a vacuum pump and why
- Maintenance/Basic Troubleshooting
- Why is maintenance important
- Tools involved in completing maintenance
- Process/check list for completing maintenance
- Basic troubleshooting steps in gas furnaces and AC’s
- EPA Certification Test
HVAC/R Beginners Course Syllabus
- Soft skills/Customer Service
- Basic customs and courtesies
- Getting our customers involved
- Good housekeeping habits
Course Student Learning Outcomes
Certified in HVAC/R Beginners Course
Make–up, Missed or Late Work: Must work with Coordinator and Instructor.
Attendance: Each face–to–face class period is required.
Call 304.424.8275 or email Martha.Leeson@wvup.edu to register today!