The Workforce and Economic Development division offers local business, industry, and organizations a variety of training opportunities designed to increase employee productivity and efficiency, helping them to maximize profits. Examples of the kind of training we offer are:
- Leadership Training
- Employee Management Skills for New Supervisors
- Microsoft Office Training
- Team Building
- Internal Training Improvement Consultation
- Lubrication Theory and Maintenance
- Specialized Custom Training Designed Based On Your Needs
- Safety Training
When Chemours finds itself with a training challenge, we’ve had great success partnering with WVU Parkersburg’s Workforce and Economic Development division. No matter what kind of instruction we’ve needed for our employees, WVUP WED has been able to quickly develop a customized solution to solve our problem and give our workers the skills they need to help keep us competitive” Todd Fox – Chemours
Workforce and Economic Development also offers a wide variety of corporate, construction and manufacturing safety training. Listed below are a few selected courses we currently teach. Other training opportunities can be developed by trained experts in the field as needs arise.
- OSHA 10 for Construction
- OSHA 30 for Construction
- OSHA 10 for General Industry
- OSHA 30 for General Industry
- HAZWOPER Refresher
- LOCK-OUT TAG-OUT
- CONFINED SPACE
- ELECTRICAL SAFETY
- FIRE PREVENTION
- RESPIRATORY PROTECTION PROGRAM
- SAFETY PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT
Call Michele Wilson at 304-424-8355 or Kurt Knopp at 304-424-8271 to discuss your company’s current and future safety training needs.
Small Business Development Center
The Small Business Development Center located at West Virginia University at Parkersburg is dedicated to providing service to the region’s business community. The region consists of the following five counties; Pleasants, Wood, Wirt, Ritchie, and Jackson.Services provided include management consultation and training in areas such as preparing business plans, securing capital, improving business skills, and other business management needs. Each one of these areas are described briefly below. Also, various business materials are available. All counseling services are offered on a no-charge basis and the training is offered at a minimal cost.
- Business Consultation. Consultation on a variety of subjects involved in small business ownership is available at no charge.
- Pre-Venture Counseling. Advice to future business owners concerning taxes, licenses, sources of capital and regulations.
- Capital Formation. Assists with loan applications and compilation of loan proposals.
- Business Plan. Assistance in the development of an orderly business plan including financial projections and marketing plan designed for individual needs.
- Training Programs. Seminars covering a broad spectrum of topics range from two-hour conferences to nine-hour courses.
- SmallBizU. SmallBizU is for those individuals seeking thought-leadership. Designed specially for entrepreneurs and small businesses, this online training seeks to instill a formal business intelligence–the capacity to solve problems, meet challenges, and create valued products. SmallBizU teaches the 3Ms: Money, Marketing, and Management.
The SBDC works in cooperation with other economic development associations such as the West Virginia Development Office, Mid-Ohio Valley Chamber of Commerce and other area economic and development authorities. It is one of ten other centers across the state.The Small Business Development Center of West Virginia University at Parkersburg is partially funded by the U.S. Small Business Administration. The support given by the U.S. Small Business Administration through such funding does not constitute an expressed or implied endorsement of any of the co-sponsor(s)’ or participants’ opinions, products or services.Contact:
SBDC Center Manager/Business Coach