What are Community Education Classes?
These classes are provided by West Virginia University at Parkersburg to offer you fun and affordable learning opportunities. Many of these classes are suitable for all ages, offered on evenings and weekends, and you don’t need to be a student of WVU Parkersburg to register. Whether you want to learn a new hobby, or just have fun with friends, OUR Community Education classes are for YOU!
Can’t make it on campus for classes? Try ed2go!
Online classes through WVU Parkersburg’s Workforce & Economic Development are an easy, affordable way for you to get the training you need to take your career to the next level. We partner with national leaders in online education to offer a comprehensive library of practical, career enhancing classes available at your convenience. Our online classes are non-credit, and in many cases can lead to a professional certificate in a number of practical areas.
For more information:
Want to teach and earn $25 per hour?
Do you have a talent, skill or interest that you would like to share with others? We are now accepting applications for part-time instructors to teach Community Education classes in their area of expertise. Creative and innovative classes are encouraged.
Proposal Form: Click Here
Available Community Education Classes
Beginner American Sign Language
Eight 1.5 hour sessions
Tuesday, March 26 & April 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 & May 7 & 14 | 6:30 – 8pm | $50
This is Sign Language for everyone. This class will focus on basic conversational sign language as well as information regarding deaf culture with the goal to be able to communicate on a basic level with deaf and hard of hearing people whom you may encounter in their workplaces or in everyday social events. This is perfect for kids and families, or just anyone who has an interest in Sign Langauge.
Four one-hour sessions
Tuesday, April 2, 9, 16 & 23 | 6 – 7pm | $25
Learn the art of calligraphy in a relaxed atmosphere. Students will get hands-on experience learning two fonts in a one-hour per week class over the span of four weeks. Students will need a 3.5 size calligraphy marker (any color) and lined notebook paper.
Six three-hour sessions
Monday, April 8, 15, 22, 29 & May 6 & 13| 6 – 9pm
Students will learn basic welding procedures and techniques to complete common around the house, garage or farm repairs. Students are required to provide basic personal protection equipment (PPE) used in the workplace or shop. Required PPE items include a welding jacket, welding hood/shield, safety glasses or side shields for Rx eyewear, boots and gloves. Long pants and long sleeves are also required. Tools needed for the class include a 4 or 6-inch grinder with cut-off wheels and grinding wheels, slag/chipping hammer, side cut pliers or ‘welpers,’ crescent wrench and/or channel locks.
Golf for Beginners
Four 2-hour sessions
Saturday, May 4, 11, 18 & 25 | 2-4pm | $50
Have you always wanted to play golf? If so, this class is for you. Priced just right, this course will emphasize the fundamentals needed to practice and play the game of golf. After this course, students will be able to demonstrate basic golf skills, show golf etiquette and express golf terminology, all while applying these to a round of golf. Golf is a lifetime sport, and it is never too late to learn! Don’t miss out on this deal!
American Heart Association First Aid
One 3-hour session
Tuesday, May 14 | 6-9pm | $20 + $35 Certification Fee (Paid to instructor)
This class is designed for the layperson with no medical experience. Students will be instructed on First Aid for all victim types, and choking relief will also be covered. With the certification fee, you will be issued a two-year certification from the American Heart Association in the mail after class completion. Skills demonstration will be required.
Let your child experience college, and gain a wealth of knowledge in a variety of subjects in this one- or four-week program. Your child can attend just one week, or all four weeks of classes. For children ages 8 – 12
- and many more
Need To Know Information:
- Maximum of 60 students per week
- Class sizes are limited and granted on a first come first serve basis (with payment)
- Payment must be received with registration or we can not register student.
- Registration Fee: $130
- Kids College Application
Basic Daily Schedule:
8:30 – 9 am Student Arrival
9:05 – 10 am Class Period One
10:15 – 11:15 am Class Period Two
11:30 am – 12:20 pm Lunch
12:20 – 1 pm Organized Physical Activity
1 – 1:55 pm Class Period Three
2:05 – 3 pm Class Period Four
3:15 – 3:45 pm Student Pickup
For More Information, Call 304-424-8383
|Community Education Class Policies|
- Registration is required for all Community Education Classes and should be made at least one week prior to the start of the class.
- There is a fee to enroll, but you will not receive an invoice until the class is filled.
- To register, please complete the Registration Form above and mail it to the address provided on the form or email it to ude.puvwnull@dew. You may also call 304-424-8383 with questions or to register.
- Students will receive their registration invoice at the email address they’ve provided.
- The registration fees must be paid at the WVU Parkersburg Business Office unless otherwise noted.
- Requests to withdraw from a class must be made at least two weeks (14 days) before the first day of class to receive a refund. If a student withdraws less than two weeks before the date a class starts, a refund will not be issued.
- If classes are canceled due to weather, they will be rescheduled.
Other Important Information
- If you need to have specific supplies or technology for a class, this information is provided in the class description. Please review these requirements before registering.
- WVU Parkersburg retains the right to use photos taken during classes for marketing purposes.