Title: #IV-7. Student Rating of Instruction
Date: February 7, 2005
The purpose of this procedure is to provide students with an opportunity to evaluate their instructors and courses. Annual review files, of which student opinions are a part, are considered in contract renewal, promotion, and tenure decisions. In addition, the evaluations help instructors assess their strengths and weaknesses and, in turn, improve their teaching.
A. All full-time faculty shall be evaluated as follows:
1. First and second-year faculty shall be evaluated in all classes taught in each semester of the academic year.
2. Non-tenured faculty in their third through sixth years of appointment shall be evaluated by at least two selected classes each semester of the academic year. The selection of classes shall be approved by the division chairperson.
3. Tenured faculty shall be evaluated by at least two selected classes each academic year. The selection of classes shall be approved by the division chairperson.
4. Division chairpersons shall be evaluated according to the above-mentioned guidelines with the Dean of Academic Affairs filling the role of the chairperson.
5. Division chairpersons may request student evaluations of any faculty above and beyond those specified. Such a request must be in writing, stating the reasons for the request.
B. All part-time faculty may be evaluated in any or all classes as requested by the chairperson.
A. All student evaluations shall be scheduled by the chairperson before mid-semester with notification to the affected faculty member.
B. Evaluations shall be timed to occur near the end of each semester, provided the results will be available for review before the close of the semester.
C. The faculty member being evaluated shall select a faculty member other than himself or herself, a staff member, or a student to distribute and collect evaluation forms.
A. Results of evaluations shall be compiled in division offices, with a tabulation of responses to multiple-choice questions and copies of student comments placed in the annual review file.
B. Original copies of the student evaluations shall be returned to the faculty member after final grades have been submitted to the Registrar.
C. The results of student evaluations shall be considered in the annual review process.