Title: #IV-11. Faculty Instructional Load
The teaching responsibilities for a full-time faculty member are considered to be 15 teaching load hours per semester and 30 load hours per academic year as outlined in WV CTC Procedural Rule 135-CSR45. Any instructional load below 15 teaching load hours must be approved by the Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs on the basis of a recommendation from the chairperson for an effective 30 load hours per academic year. Summer teaching duties are not factored into the faculty load unless prior approval is granted by the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Faculty Load Definitions
· Instructional Hour – Load given to faculty based on credits students receive for a specific course. Example: 3 credit hour course = 3 faculty load hours
· Lab Hour - Load given for contact hours of laboratory instruction apart from lecture but affiliated with specific lecture courses. Example: BIOL 101 (3 credits) and BIO 103L (one credit)
· Clinical/Practicum Hour - Load given for instruction of application and professional practice of content that occurs outside the traditional classroom (ratios determined by discipline and in accordance with accreditation/certification guidelines).
Calculation of Load
The teaching load hours will be calculated by the following:
· One credit hour equals one teaching load hour;
· One laboratory contact hour equals .75 instructional load ;
· Clinical/practicum teaching load ratios will be determined by discipline and in accordance with accreditation guidelines in consultation with the division chairperson and the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs.
· Other factors may be used to determine teaching load hours, such as number of preparations, number of students, number of advisees, and other.
· Reassigned time for specific projects or programs as determined and approved by the Division Chair and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Faculty members are not encouraged to teach overload classes unless it is needed by the division for their programs.
· Overloads will be determined by the division chairperson and Senior Vice President.
· No more than 6 overload hours will be considered per semester.
Each faculty member will maintain office hours during which time the faculty member is available to students for private conferences and consultation. During the weeks in which classes are in session, faculty members will schedule a minimum of five office hours. The schedule for each faculty member is approved by the respective chairperson and posted outside the faculty member’s office. A copy is forwarded to the office of the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs.