West Virginia University at Parkersburg is a community of scholars engaged in life-long
learning that expects all members to accept and live by the principles of the honor code. We
believe that education must include knowledge and ethics; instilling the elements of honor and
compassion towards oneself and others within every member of our community. As a member
of the college community I will follow these principles:
- Civility – I will show both common politeness to all members of the college community without exception to race, religion, creed, gender, disability or orientation and seek to engage, support and improve the civic organizations, goals and values of the community.
- Honesty – I will seek to always communicate truthfully, be it speaking, writing or listening, with all whom I interact, both in and out of the classroom.
- Inclusiveness – I will seek to understand the variety of cultures and worldviews that have shaped the human experience, create a safe place where members of different cultural and social backgrounds may feel welcome and to hold all members of the community to the ideals of this honor code.
- Integrity – I understand that I am required to be ethically consistent; living up to the Honor Code at all times, in all situations, and with all members of our community.
- Respect – I will conduct myself with dignity and interact with a sense of equality towards all students, of regard to all instructors and staff, and worth towards myself.
Commitment to Civility
This Commitment to Civility applies to students, faculty, staff, administration and visitors of West Virginia University at Parkersburg. As a member of the WVU Parkersburg campus community I will follow these civility commitments:
- Exhibit integrity, respect, tolerance, and inclusiveness.
- Be objective and fair in the treatment of others.
- Be professional and ethical in our conduct and performance of duties.
- Support a community conducive to the learning process.
- Encourage open and honest communication while maintaining professional courtesy and respect.
- Strive to achieve and maintain a safe and healthy environment.
- Protect the confidentiality, integrity, and security of college information.
- Abide by the laws and regulations governing the institution.