The WVU at Parkersburg Children of Classified Staff Scholarship has been established by the Staff Council of West Virginia University at Parkersburg primarily for the purpose of benefiting classified staff. Through fund raising efforts coordinated by Staff Council, this scholarship is intended to benefit classified staff by providing our children with assistance toward the expense of attending WVU at Parkersburg according to the requirements and guidelines outlined below.
- Be the natural, legally adopted, or dependent step child of a currently employed or retired classified staff member at WVU Parkersburg.
- Be fully admitted to WVU Parkersburg in order to receive the scholarship award.
- Be 25 years of age or younger.
- Meet the standards of satisfactory academic progress requirements outlined in Answer Book VI-10A, as determined by the Financial Aid Office at WVU Parkersburg.
- Be a degree-seeking student and taking course for credit.
- Scholarships will be awarded based on the availability of funds and the number of applicants, and will be a cash award of not less than $100 per student per semester.
- Applications received by July 1 will receive priority consideration for the year. Awards will be made for the academic year, allocated per semester, contingent upon the continuing enrollment of the applicant. Contingent upon the availability of funds, applications received by November 15 may be considered for spring semester.
- The scholarship awarding committee shall be appointed annually by Staff Council and shall not include any staff member whose child will be considered for an award. Decisions of the awarding committee are final.
- In instances where there are more eligible applicants than awards available, preference will be given to the applicant whose parent has the highest number of years service at WVU Parkersburg. In the instance of equal years of service, preference will be give to the applicant with the lowest adjusted gross family income which may be verified by the parents’ Federal Income Tax return for the previous calendar year.
- In instances where there are no applicants meeting eligibility requirement #1 (see section on Eligibility Requirements) applying by November 15 in any given year, the scholarship awarding committee may choose to solicit applications from grandchildren of currently employed classified staff and/or sons- and daughters-in-law of currently employed classified staff provided they meet all other eligibility requirements.
- Scholarship eligibility requirements and guidelines are subject to change by the WVU Parkersburg Staff Council.