Community Health and Safety Fun Fair
Date(s) - 10/05/2013
11:00 am - 4:00 pm
Children's Home Society
A free Community Health and Safety Fun Fair will be held from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at the Children’s Home Society of West Virginia on St. Marys Avenue.
The fair will feature numerous health-related activities and screenings for children and adults, said organizer Lisa Doyle-Parsons, coordinator of the Personal Responsibility Education Program of the Children’s Home Society.
Among activities are:
- Health screenings from the Mid-Ohio Valley Health Department and the nursing program at West Virginia University at Parkersburg. The screenings, which include vision, will be available for adults and children.
- Body-mass screenings.
- Free smoke detectors distributed by the Parkersburg Fire Department. No income guidelines will apply; however, the detectors will be given away first-come first-served while the supply lasts. The detectors are through United Bank, Doyle-Parsons said.
- Child safety demonstrations from the police department.
- Smokey the Bear from the West Virginia Division of Wildlife.
- Flu shots through the health department will be administered from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Participants with a medical card will get the shot for free, and insurance companies will be billed with those who have insurance, Doyle-Parsons said. Otherwise, the cost will be determined on a sliding scale with a maximum of $20, she said.
This festival is organized by the Children’s Home Society, WVU Parkersburg Health Sciences Division and the health department.