Getting Started

Print Friendly

West Virginia University at Parkersburg salutes all men and women who have served in the U.S. Armed Forces. Whether you are a discharged veteran, retired, still serving on active duty, in the Reserves or National Guard, or a family member of a veteran, WVU-P is committed to supporting and encouraging your success. The Veterans Resource Center (VRC) is here to assist you with resources at the college and in the community. Let us help make your transition back to school successful.

Veterans Resource Team

Michael Dooley
SSG, USA (Ret.)
Veteran Advocate
Veterans Resource Center
Heather Skidmore
VA School Certifying Official
Director of Student Financial Assistance
Chad Crumbaker J.D.
Vice President
Academic & Student Affairs
Kurt Klettner, US Air Force Veteran
Director Student Support Services


Admissions Process

  • Apply for admissions online at and complete all admissions requirements.
  • Apply for Veterans Affairs (VA) Education Benefits at
    The Veterans Resource Center (VRC) provides assistance to active duty service members, veterans, reservists, guardsmen, and family members with U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits. For more information use the GI Bill Benefits Comparison tool at

    • Complete your application for VA education benefits at
    • When the application process is completed, VA will issue a Certificate of Eligility (COE) to qualified individuals by mail. The certificate will contain basic eligibility information including months of entitlement, period of eligibility and benefit level.
    • Please submit a copy of your COE in person to the VRC, or via email at ude.puvwnull@yelooD.leahciM. You do not need to wait to receive COE in the mail to complete other school requirements.

Note: If you have used VA education benefits previously at another college, you must update your education benefits through

National Air/Army Guard Members: For instructions on filling out your application for West Virginia National Guard (NG) tuition assistance, go to and create an account.
Army National Guard or Reserve members only: Federal tuition assistance is available through or by calling the state education officer at 304.561.6366.

  • National Guardsmen and Reservists are required to submit a Notice of Basic Eligibility.
  • Provide a copy of your DD-214.
  • Submit official transcripts and test results, including:
    • Transcripts from previously attended colleges and universities
    • Transcripts from Joint Service or Community College of the Air Force
    • CLEP or DANTES scores
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
    The Financial Aid Office provides numerous options to assist students with costs associated with attending WVU-P. These options include grants, scholarships, work opportunities, and loans to qualified students. For more information please visit or call 304.424.8210.

    • When you file online use school code 003828 for WVU-P.
    • Complete your FAFSA application every year to renew your application.
  • Submit your VA Coordinator Card.
    As soon as you are registered for your courses and you’ve submitted your COE, complete your request for certification through the VA Coordinator Card.

    • You must be logged into your school email account to fill the VA Coordinator Card out.
    • Once our office has process your VA Coordinator Card, you will receive an email in your WVU-P email account confirming that your benefit request has been certified and sent to the VA for processing.
    • You must complete the VA Coordinator Card each semester.
  • Visit the Professional Advising Center (PAC).
    The PAC is WVU-P’s program for new and transferring student veterans to receive academic advising, Joint Service Transcript review, and create their initial academic course schedule.
  • To Request Accessibility (Disability) Accommodations, visit The Center for Student Support Services.
    The Center for Student Support Services is located in Room 1019. Their primary mission is to help students with disabilities achieve their academic goals by providing reasonable academic accommodations which include assistive technology and services. For more information please contact The Center for Student Support Service at 304.424.8378.
  • Join the Student Veterans Corps
    The heart of the VRC is the student veteran organization, the Student Veterans Corps. They provide peer-to-peer support which has been linked to academic success and an easier transition for student veterans. As a member you will receive information on activities and events and enjoy the comradery and esprit de corps of our student veteran organization.
Upcoming Events for Veterans
  • No events
Veterans News
WVU Parkersburg to hold 9/11 Remembrance Ceremony on Sept. 11
West Virginia University at Parkersburg will hold its annual 9/11 remembrance ceremony on Tuesday,...
U.S. veterans share Vietnam War experiences at WVU Parkersburg event
West Virginia University at Parkersburg hosted a screening of the new WV Public Broadcasting (WVPB)...
WVU Parkersburg named Military Friendly Silver Award recipient
West Virginia University at Parkersburg has been named a 2017 Silver-level Military Friendly School...