Disability Services

Print Friendly

Student health insurance is now available. Learn more.

This office provides disability accommodations to qualified students based on appropriate documentation and serves other disability related needs to the WVU Parkersburg community.

Because different people have different needs, multiple links on this website often provide the same information. In addition to accessing information from this website, we encourage you to make contact with the Office of Disability Services any time.

Moving From High School to College
Students having received disability related accommodations in secondary schools will find important differences as they continue in higher education. Being aware of these differences can make the transition easier. Among the differences are:

  • Once a student reaches the age of 18, they will need to give written consent to the Office of Disability Services for any kind of parental involvement. Even if parents are assuming the financial responsibility for a student’s education, this release is still necessary.
  • Secondary schools may have provided for the financial cost of securing necessary documentation of a disability. In higher education, that cost is the responsibility of the student.
  • The length of time documentation is valid is substantially different in higher education.
  • Some types of accommodations, such as study guides, that are often used in secondary education are not available at the college or university level.
  • The amount and type of documentation that will be needed may be different between secondary and higher education. More detailed information about differences may be found at: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/transition.html

About Disability Services
The Office of Disability Services is committed to helping qualified students with disabilities achieve their academic goals by providing reasonable academic accommodations under appropriate circumstances. Appropriate accommodations are based upon both documentation of a disability and the significant functional limitations supported by diagnostic test data.

The following information is designed to help you to understand the policies and procedures related to obtaining disability related accommodations at WVU Parkersburg. This information is meant to assist you in obtaining services that are available to all students at WVU Parkersburg.

All current, incoming, transfer, or graduate students, in person, must:

  1. Schedule an initial interview with a counselor to register with the Office of Disability Services;
  2. Provide documentation of your disability that meets WVU Parkersburg criteria for obtaining disability related academic accommodations; and
  3. Request services on a semester by semester basis.

Because of the legal nature and complexity involved in the process of obtaining disability related accommodations within your academic program it is important to read and understand the policies and procedures related to this process. WVU Parkersburg encourages all academically qualified students to take advantage of its academic programs. It is WVU Parkersburg policy not to discriminate against qualified persons with disabilities in its admission policies or procedures or its educational programs, services and activities. Admission to WVU Parkersburg is based upon meeting the WVU Parkersburg admission requirements. Upon being admitted to WVU Parkersburg, you should contact the Office of Disability Services for an appointment.

The WVU at Parkersburg process of providing disability related accommodations follows guidelines of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and current case law. This process is designed to assure that reasonable accommodations are provided to all qualified students in a timely manner.

Assistive Technology & Services

The Office of Disability Services at West Virginia University at Parkersburg offers an array of assistive technology (AT) and services for student use or accommodation need.  The Student Counseling Center and Disability Services office is open 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday; with the exception of official college holidays and closings, as well as other specified times throughout the year.

Assistive technologies available for use through the Office of Disability Services include:

  • JAWS (Screen reader):
    JAWS (Job Access With Speech) is the most powerful screen reader and uses an integrated voice synthesizer and your computer’s sound card to output the content of your computer screen to speakers. More information on JAWS can be found here.
  • Kurzweil:
    Kurzweil provides both audible and visual accessibility to word documents and web pages. The company is recognized as the leading developer of reading technology for people with learning difficulties and those who are blind or visually impaired. More information on Kurzweil can be found here.
  • ZoomText (Screen magnifier):
    ZoomText, the world’s leading low-vision solution, is available as a screen magnifier or integrated magnifier/reader. With magnification up to 16x, ZoomText enlarges and enhances everything on the screen, making all your applications easy to see and use. More information on Zoomtext can be found here.
  • FM Systems (electronic amplification/hearing system):
    FM systems work like a small radio transmitter and radio receiver. A parent or teacher wears the FM transmitter and microphone. The receiver picks up the signal from the microphone and routes it to a personal hearing aid, cochlear implant processor or other device.
  • UBI Duo (electronic communication device):
    Ubi-Duo Is an electronic communication device used by individuals with hearing impairments to enable instant communication.
  • Sorenson Video Relay Service (SVRS)
    Sorenson Video Relay Service® (SVRS®) is a free, 24-hour service that enables users to place and receive calls through a professional American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter via a videophone and a high-speed internet connection. The service is available in the Library (Room 1332). Access after normal business hours is accomplished with the assistance of Campus Security.
  • Enlarged key keyboards
  • Scanners
  • Text in Alternative Formats

Assistive services available through the Office of Disability Services include:

  • ASL Sign Language Interpreters
  • Test Reader

Alternative formats are available on request.

Accessible Parking Permit

The Disability Services Office provides temporary accessible parking permits for student, faculty and staff. To obtain a permit you must provide documentation on official letterhead from an appropriate healthcare professional that includes the following:

  • A description of your specific diagnosis.
  • A statement that stipulates that accessible parking is needed.
  • The projected length of time the permit will be required.

The aforementioned document must be dated and signed by a licensed medical professional.

The contact information for the West Virginia University at Parkersburg’s Disability Services Office is:

West Virginia University at Parkersburg
Attn: Disability Services Office
300 Campus Drive
Parkersburg, WV 26104

Office #: 304-424-8378
College: 1-800-WVA-WVUP, Ext 378
FAX #: 304-424-8372
Email: ude.puvwnull@secivreSytilibasiD

If the permit is requested to cover a period of time in excess of thirty calendar days, you may be required to obtain a state permit issued by your home state.

  • West Virginia residents may obtain the forms from the West Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) which must be completed and signed by a physician.
  • Ohio residents may provide the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles with the letter from the physician and complete the form at the BMV office.


For further information, please contact the Office of Disability Services.