Get a head start in a trade career. Take pride in learning multiple welding skills. Some 60 percent of the new jobs in the early 21st century will require skills that are held by just 20 percent of the present workforce. Welding is a prime example of such skills needed.
We welcome all entry levels. Students are attending our facility to:
- Start a trade career
- Possibly just seeking to further his or her career in the welding industry
Why Welding at WVU Parkersburg?
- Brand new facility with state-of-the-art equipment you will not find anywhere else.
- High education standards in a local facility.
- Students will benefit from teachers who have years of field experience.
We assist our students with learning the necessary skills to become job ready. We’re with our students every step of the way as they seek work in a plant, union or apprenticeship program. Here at WVU Parkersburg, we are creating motivated individuals who don’t quit until the job is done right.
NCCER EDGE Credits – High school student’s placement advantage
West Virginia State Certification
Short-term Programs Offered
To meet growing demand in the area, WVU Parkersburg is offering a 10-week non-credit course in Aluminum Welding.
- Plant maintenance jobs
- Pipeline welders
- Field and shop welders
- Mobile welders
- Fitters in local fab shops
- Local unions: pipefitters, boilermakers, ironworkers, sheet metal workers and millwrights
Potential earnings with those careers range from $40,000 -$160,000.
Statistics confirm that 600,000 to 700,000 professionals currently work in the U.S. Nearly half of U.S. industries report difficulties locating qualified individuals with welding experience. The Occupational Outlook Handbook calls welding an “excellent job prospect.”