Pathways to success in Business Administration. To get there, you can start with a one-year certificate, move on to a 2-year degree, and complete a 4-year bachelor’s degree with this program.
- 1. One-Year Certificate: Start with a one-year Certificate of Applied Science in Business Administration(CAS) to build basic skills. Take 15 hours each semester and follow the academic map to complete the certificate in two semesters. Program Outcomes and Graduation Requirements.
- 2. Two-Year Associate: Add two semesters to the certificate to complete the Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in Business Administration and prepare for more complex management or marketing jobs. Program Outcomes and Graduation Requirements.
- 3. Four-Year Bachelor: Add four more semesters after the associate degree to complete a Bachelor of Applied Science in Business Administration (BASBA). Concentration areas are available in Accounting and Financial Management, Business Information Technology, and Management/Marketing. The BASBA is a 2+2 degree that requires graduation with an associate in business for admission to program.
The Bachelor of Applied Science focuses on skills and “how to do” things. Employers want graduates who have concrete skills in addition to understanding the business concepts. The BASBA was designed based on employer input so you can be sure it will make you employable after graduation. See What Employers are Looking For to learn more about the skills needed in today’s workforce.
Admission to BASBA Degree Program
Admission to the Bachelor of Applied Science with a major in Business Administration degree may be achieved by fulfilling the following steps:
- • Meet all General Admission or Transfer Admission requirements for WVU at Parkersburg.
- • Earn an Associate in Applied Science or related business degree from an accredited college or university. (Provisional admission may be granted under certain circumstances.)
- • Maintain a minimum of 2.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale for all courses transferred to or completed at West Virginia University at Parkersburg.
You can download and complete the Application for admission to the BASBA degree here or stop by the Office of the Division of Business, Accounting, and Public Service to pick up an application. Plan to apply for admission to the bachelor’s during your last semester of the Associate Degree.
Transfer of Credits
If you attended another college, you may transfer credits from college-level courses completed at other institutions with the following information:
- • All BASBA degree program students must complete at least 32 hours of credits in residency at WVU at Parkersburg, regardless of the number of course credits transferred.
- • Students with approved transfer credits must complete at least 39 credit hours of upper division business courses (numbered 300 and above), including all required major concentration courses. No credit will be awarded toward senior-level courses completed at a two-year institution.
- • Lower-level division credits that are now upper-division credits that were completed at Parkersburg Community College (PCC) prior to the Fall 1991 semester will not be accepted for upper-level credit.
Graduation Requirements – BASBA Degree (Any concentration)
- • Complete an Associate in Applied Science degree prior to application for graduation with the BASBA
- • Complete 120 credit hours in courses outlined for the Bachelor of Applied Science with a major in Business Administration in any of the following concentrations: Accounting and Financial Management (AFM), Management/Marketing (MM), or Business Information Technology.
- • Maintain an overall grade point average of 2.0 or higher in all General Education Foundation courses required for the degree.
- • Maintain minimum grade point average of 2.25 overall in all courses included in the Common Professional Component (CPC) Business Core. (See MyDegree for listing.)
- • Maintain minimum grade point average of 2.5 in all courses included in area of concentration. (See MyDegree for listing.)
- • Residency Requirement: Complete a minimum of 30 credit hours at WVU Parkersburg, 24 of which must be upper division (numbered 300 and above) business courses.
- • Students pursuing both the BASBA and BSBA degrees must complete all course requirements for each degree to be eligible to earn a second bachelor’s degree.
- • Complete application for graduation, pay graduation fee, and file application in OLSIS prior to stated deadline.
Click here to access course descriptions for all business courses. (Catalog 2017-18)