Cast in 1902 by the Meneely Bell Company of Troy NY, this is the original bell from the Emerson Avenue school building where the Parkersburg Branch of West Virginia University was established in the fall of 1961. A number of years ago, the bell was discovered in a campus storage area and restored to its original condition.
The bell is used at campus ceremonies, including Commencement and other events. It resides in the main campus hallway near the President’s Office.
A graphic depiction of the bell is also a component of the college’s official seal.