July 5, 2009
WVU Parkersburg seeks input regarding use of W.T. Grant building; on-line survey available.
On-line survey link
CONTACT: WVU Parkersburg President Marie Foster Gnage, 304-424-8000.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
West Virginia University at Parkersburg is seeking public input via an on-line survey regarding how best to utilize a proposed downtown educational facility.
The Erickson Foundation donated the W.T. Grant building, located in downtown Parkersburg at 705-707 Market Street, to the college last summer. A WVU Parkersburg task force has been working with city and county officials to determine next steps in designing the facility to contribute to economic development and provide strategic opportunities to impact the downtown area.
"This generous gift is making it possible for the college to have a downtown presence as well as build collaborative relationships with the city of Parkersburg and downtown businesses," noted WVU Parkersburg President Marie Foster Gnage.
"The Grant building will be renovated as a multi-use center with education as the foundation for all activity," she added.
An on-line survey is being distributed now to employers and employees in downtown Parkersburg to assist the college in determining how they would take advantage of a Market Street educational center. The survey is also on the college's home page so that area residents can provide input as well.
"We are conducting the survey to help us determine programming options," President Gnage noted. "Our intent is that the center must include a combination of activities and programs that make the facility self-supporting."
The survey is available on the college home page ( www.wvup.edu ). Input will be sought for two weeks with the survey closing July 19.
The 32,000-square-foot Grant building was first deeded in 1931 and housed a department store for many years.