WVU at Parkersburg
April 27, 2007 Minutes
President’s Conference Room 10:00am
Present: Craig Rabatin, Dr. Marie Foster Gnage, Joe Badgley, Connie Dziagwa, Charlene McNulty, Lennie Moore, John Gorrell, David White, Paul Milhoan, Gary Waggoner, Michelle Bissell
Absent: Jan Miller, Cathy Mutz, Carson Soelberg, John Tharp
Minutes of the March 16, 2007 meeting were approved.
Connie Dziagwa gave a synopsis of the paging system:
· Buttons in classrooms and key areas, phones in welding area (due to noise)
· Can broadcast information to main building, CCE, Caperton as well as limiting the broadcast to just hallways or classrooms
· Have buttons in classrooms and phones
· Can broadcast information to Caperton only, plus receive announcements from main building
· No call buttons because of distance—have phones instead
· When handsets are picked up, they connect with switchboard, security & evening director
· Has broadcast speakers to receive announcements from main building
1. To be heard clearly, one must look at the speaker when
- Charlene McNulty suggested that during an
emergency, someone should be next to the speaker
to relay information
- Craig Rabatin suggested the operator could ask the
person to look at the speaker when talking
- Connie Dziagwa noted that this could be added to the
2. Use of the word emergency creating panic
- Connie Dziagwa noted that the script can be adjusted
so operators do not initially use the word emergency
3. President Gnage suggested operators have a brief delay in
responding, in case of accidentally hitting the button
- Connie Dziagwa raised concern that in the case of a hostage situation, immediately responding could be detrimental
- President Gnage noted that button covers could be a hindrance in that situation as well
4. John Gorrell noted that JCC only had two radios for emergency situations
- President Gnage suggested Dave check into the costs
of installing a paging system with Bogen for JCC
5. Connie Dziagwa noted that the paging phones were not part of the normal phone system.
- Craig Rabatin suggested putting signage on the phone
to avoid confusion
Paging System Training
Connie Dziagwa announced that backup switchboard operators have been trained, and the new person would be trained as well when she starts. She said that Mary Beth Busch was concerned about weekends and was putting together an information sheet for weekend faculty.
- President Gnage pointed out that it should be made clear what we can and cannot do—weekend faculty would be the first responders and have to call 911
- Joe Badgley suggested that the sheet be given to those who rent the facility on the weekend, as well as teach
Connie Dziagwa said that a walkthrough of the paging system needs to be offered every semester and that new employees should have an orientation
Joe Badgley noted that Dotty Muir should make the walkthrough part of new student orientation and faculty should make it part of syllabi
Dave White said that training for the night custodians needed to be modified
Meeting for the Safety Committee and President’s Cabinet to discuss and prioritize possible safety purchases.
Dave White presented some possible ideas, including: cameras, new panic bars that cannot be chained shut
President Gnage warned that she did not want to lull the campus into a sense of stability and noted that we cannot prevent everything. She emphasized the focus on vigilance.
Connie Dziagwa raised concern about the timeliness of communication to students through their mix accounts. President Gnage stated that there needs to be a way to bypass the filter and send directly to students in case of emergency.
President Gnage also noted the need to increase awareness that “All Users” emails are important and should be read. The emails are an administrative tool and need to be taken seriously.
Joe Badgley suggested that low-tech ideas for communications should be explored as well.
Concern was raised that no safety announcements were being made before campus events, as directed in the safety plan. Any event with off-campus people needs to include a verbal statement about safety (exits, etc.). Connie Dziagwa will put together sample scripts. The rental requests/contracts should also include a requirement about safety announcements.
President Gnage stated that id cards would not be a major expenditure. The safety committee recommends using id cards.
President Gnage stated that the safety plan is a dynamic document that will change as we learn new safety measures.
Connie Dziagwa raised concern about how the paging codes were listed in the safety plan and indicated that we need to communicate the codes if they are to remain part of the plan, otherwise they would only create confusion. President Gnage stated that both codes and verbal statements should be made. The codes are the same as Wood County schools use. Joe Badgley noted that using the codes might create less panic. President Gnage suggested putting the codes in the flip chart, handbooks, and orientation materials so the campus community will become familiar with them. She also suggested putting the codes on the back of id cards
John Gorrell said that parts of the IT recovery plan (Appendix B) were incorrect about JCC backup. Michelle Bissell said that Jason Stark had been contacted about the plan—he advised that Morgantown was taking over the IT plan, and they were waiting on them. President Gnage requested the plan be updated as best as possible until the Morgantown plan is finished.
Adjunct Faculty Sheets
Charlene McNulty prepared a safety sheet for adjuncts, based on the safety plan. President Gnage raised concern about using separate sheets because people might hold onto outdated sheets.
She suggested requiring Division Chairs to give information sheets to faculty and adjuncts requesting they review the safety plan and read the handbook. She also suggested posting reminder signs in
the adjunct resource room.
Charlene McNulty ordered the update for the AED. Scott Dotson will do the training, after May. Dr. Avery will oversee the training and sign for the certification. Charlene advised that Cheryl Robinson, Nelson Ortiz, and some WVUP students could do the CPR training that is necessary for the AED training. Charlene will remind Nelson to do the training.
Connie will inform Mary Beth
Michelle will inform Patsy and Martha
Michelle will inform Dotty
Michelle will inform Patsy/Martha
Michelle will contact Jason
Building Coordinator Training
A training session for the building coordinators needs to be setup. President Gnage recommended a walk-thru of the building and the paging system. Dave White also recommended training on fire extinguishers. Dave will create a curriculum for the training and have it for the next meeting. A schedule of safety workshops should also be created, including an orientation to the safety plan.
A database of safety training needs to be developed. Dave White stated that there are records for the maintenance member training. President Gnage suggested the database be expanded to include all staff/faculty.
Craig Rabatin advised the committee that the WVU safety meeting had been postponed, with no date set
Dave White stated the catch basin for the labs had been pumped and should not need to be pumped again for a few years.
With no further business being presented, the meeting was adjourned at 11:30am.