WVU Parkersburg Board of Advisors
WVU at Parkersburg Foundation Board of Directors
May 17, 2004
Conference Rooms 2536-2538
The meeting was called to order by Board of Advisors Chairperson, Joe Campbell. Mr. Campbell welcomed members of the WVU at Parkersburg Foundation Board of Directors. Those present were: Joseph Badgley, Interim President WVU Parkersburg; Joe Campbell, Senior Vice President WesBanco; William Niday, Superintendent Wood County Schools; Tony Playtis, Environmental Health Coordinator E. I. Dupont; Linda Dickirson, Jackson County Representative; Joyce Okes, Program Director Workforce Investment Board; Michael Hastings, General Manager Benson International; George Kellenberger, Chamber of Commerce; President, Jim Mylott, Executive Director Mid Ohio Valley Regional Council; Robert D'Avria, Consultant YMCA of the USA; Cindy Kelley, Faculty Representative; Violet Mosser, Staff Representative; Mike Howerton, Student Representative; Paul L. Hicks, Attorney Bowles Rice McDavid Graff & Love; Tres Ross, SBR Inc.; Charles Casto, BB&T; Shirley Lawrence-Berrey; Elmer Blankmann; Randy Law, WesBanco; Ron Roberts, Mike Matheny, Matheny Buick GMC & Volvo Trucks; and Patsy Bee, Executive Secretary to the President. Also in attendance were members of the President’s Cabinet and Al Collins, Staff Council representative.
The minutes of the Board meetings held on February 16 and April 5, 2004 were approved upon a motion by Mr. Kellenberger and second by Mr. Niday.
Report on Presidential Search Committee
Mr. Campbell announced that Dr. Marie Foster Gnage has been selected and has accepted the position of President at WVU Parkersburg. Her starting start is July 1. He remarked that the committee started with fifty-five applicants and narrowed the search to eight. From those, three candidates were selected for interviews on campus which involved several interview sessions with faculty, staff and students at WVUP, and with President Hardesty and Provost Lang at West Virginia University. The final decision was made by President Hardesty and approved by the WVU Board of Governors. Mr. Campbell thanked everyone for their involvement in the process, and expressed that Dr. Gnage will provide excellent leadership for our college.
Appointment of Nominating Committee for Elections of Officers
Mr. Campbell appointed Mr. Kellenberger, Mr. Mylott and Ms. Mosser to the nominating committee to elect officers for 2004-2005. Election will be held at the next official meeting of the Board of Advisors.
Report from Foundation Board of Directors
Mr. Law reported on behalf of the WVU at Parkersburg Foundation Board of Directors that as of May 14, the Foundation had reached a total endowment of $6.2 million. Mr. Law also introduced Tres Ross as their newest member of the Foundation Board. Mr. Law added that with Paul Daugherty serving as their new Executive Director their next goal will be to reach an endowment $10 million. He requested the assistance of the Board of Advisors in providing names and introducing Mr. Daugherty to new contacts that may be willing to provide assistance to the college especially in the area of unrestricted funds. He also announced that the Foundation Board meetings were open and welcomed Board of Advisors members to attend any future meetings.
Report from President/Academic Dean
Dr. Badgley reported on the following items:
Report from President’s Cabinet Members:
Dotty Muir, Dean of Students, provided an End of Year Report for Student Services. Some of the information provided included:
· Jim Denova from the Benedum Foundation visited the WVUP campus earlier this year. The Benedum Foundation provided funding for the Gear Up Success program and was interested in providing assistance to WVUP in the area of workforce development. A grant was submitted in the technology area regarding multi-craft teaching. The college has received preliminary notification that $86,000 has been recommended and will be sent to the Benedum Board of Trustees for final approval next month.
· The Foundation has received a total of $66,000 through the WV State Tax Credit Program this year that resulted in donations of $130,000. The tax credits are becoming much more competitive, but the Foundation will be applying again next month.
· Foundation Scholars luncheon was held this spring and was well attended.
· Board of Advisors will be contacted in the future as a project of needs assessment will be conducted. With the goal endowment of $10 million for the Foundation, he would appreciate their recommendations and advice.
· A copy of the WVU at Parkersburg Foundation annual report was provided to Board of Advisors members, and Mr. Daugherty noted that he would welcome the opportunity to meet with them individually and would appreciate their assistance in providing contacts that may be interested in assisting the college.
Dr. Badgley added that Mr. Daugherty brought greetings at the commencement ceremony this year and felt that it is important to continue to make that connection with our graduates.
Classified Staff Presentation:
Board members reviewed the proposed meeting schedule for next year. Mr. Mylott made a motion to accept the scheduled dates of August 16, 2004, November 15, 2004 and February 14, 2005. Mr. Kellenberger seconded the motion. The motion passed.
Other Business and General Discussion
Mr. Badgley noted that he has enjoyed to opportunity to work with the WVU at Parkersburg Foundation Board of Directors and the WVU Parkersburg Board of Advisors, and has certainly appreciated the support they have given to him and to WVU Parkersburg this year.
Mr. Law expressed his appreciation to Dr. Badgley and invited him to bring Dr. Gnage to the next WVU at Parkersburg Foundation Board of Directors meeting.
Mr. Campbell also expressed his appreciation for Dr. Badgley’s service and leadership to the college over the past year.
Mr. Howerton expressed his appreciation and the opportunity he has been given to serve on the Board and to be a part of the Presidential Search Committee. He announced that Kelli Barton will be his replacement on the Board for next year.
With no further business to be discussed, Mr. Howerton made a motion that the meeting be adjourned, Ms. Dickirson seconded the motion the motion passed. The next meeting will be held on Monday, August 16, 2004 at 8:00 a.m.
Patsy J. Bee
Executive Secretary to the President
Joe Campbell, Chairman